Each of the following compilations, except as modified hereinafter, are hereby designated and adopted by reference as a part of this chapter with the same force and effect as if they were set out in full herein:
(a) California Building Code and Building Code Standards. 2019 California Building Code, Volumes 1 and 2 and their respective successor provisions.
(1) The following provisions of the California Building Code relating to administration are deleted: Section 103.
(2) Section 113, relating to administration, of the California Building Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 113. BOARD OF APPEALS.
Section 113.1. GENERAL. Any person directly affected by a decision of the Building Official or a notice or order issued shall have the right to appeal to the board of appeals provided that a written application for appeal is filed within 10 days after the day the decision, notice or order was served. In order to hear and decide appeals of orders, decisions or determinations made by the building official relative to the application and interpretation of this code, there shall be and is hereby created a board of appeals consisting of the members of the Planning Commission and who are not employees of the jurisdiction. The Building Official shall be ex officio member of and shall act as secretary to said board, but shall have no vote on any matter before the board. The board shall render all decisions and findings in writing to the apellant with a duplicate copy to the building official.
Section 113.2. Limitations of Authority. The board of appeals shall have no authority relative to interpretation of the administrative provisions of this code nor shall the board be empowered to waive requirements of this code. In addition, the board is limited to appeals filed pursuant to:
1. Section 110. Administrative, California Mechanical Code
2. Section 203. Enforcement, Uniform Housing Code
3. Section 103.3. Title, Scope and Enforcement, Uniform Sign Code
4. Section 207. Enforcement and Permits, California Code for Building Conservation
(3) Appendix 33, Grading and Excavation is found as Section 331-14 of the Humboldt County Code.
(4) Section 105.2, Work Exempt from Permit, of the California Building Code relating to administrative is amended to read as follows:
Section 105.2. PERMITS REQUIRED - EXCEPTIONS. No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building or structure in the County or cause the same to be done without first obtaining a separate building permit for each such building or structure from the Building Official except the following:
1. Fences up to six feet (6') (1.8 m) and freestanding masonry walls up to forty-eight inches (48") (1.2 m) in height.
2. Curbs, retaining walls and planter boxes that are not over 4 feet (1.2 m) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
3. One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 m²).
4. Television and radio antennas supported on roofs of Group R, Division 3 and Group U occupancies.
5. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R, Division 3, and Group U occupancies when projecting not more than 54 inches (1.3 m).
6. Repairs which involve only the replacement of component parts of existing work with similar materials for the purpose of maintenance, and which do not aggregate over One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) in valuation in any twelve (12) month period and do not affect any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical installations. Repairs exempt from permit requirements shall not include any addition, change or modification in construction, exit facilities or permanent fixtures or equipment.
7. Specifically, excepted from permit requirements without limit to valuation are:
b. Painting, papering and similar finish work.
c. Installation of floor covering.
d. Cabinet work.
e. Moveable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1.7 m) high.
This section shall not be construed to require separate building permits for a dwelling and accessory buildings or structures on the same property which are described in the building permit application, plot plan and other drawings.
8. Agricultural buildings, other than milking barns, not intended for the use of the general public, on lands zoned Agriculture Exclusive, Agriculture General, or Timberland Production, or on lands shown by the General Plan as Agricultural and zoned Unclassified or on any other land zoned to permit agricultural uses as a principal use. The Chief Building Official shall issue an exemption upon confirming that the subject parcel is so zoned, and that all set-backs or other requirements will be observed.
Agricultural buildings are defined by Section 202 of the California Building Code as “a structure designed and constructed to house farm implements, hay, grain, poultry, livestock or other horticultural products. This structure shall not be a place of human habitation or a place of employment where agricultural products are processed, treated or packaged; nor shall it be a place used by the public.”
9. Detached patio covers which are less than 120 square feet in size and which are at least six feet (6') from any other structure. (Ord. 1101, § 1, 9/14/76; Ord. 1353, § 1, 9/18/79; Ord. 1876, § 16, 9/26/89)
10. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
11. Platform and walks not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade and not over any basement or story below.
12. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 occupancy in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18927 L).
(5) Any building or structure exempt from a building permit pursuant to subsection (a)(4) above shall comply with all applicable zoning requirements, including setbacks, height, lot coverage, and permitted uses.
(6) Section 3303, Protection of Pedestrians during Construction or Demolition. The following paragraph is added as the last paragraph of Section 3303.1, General, of the Building Code:
(7) Appendix O, relating to emergency housing, is incorporated by reference.
(b) California Mechanical Code. 2019 California Mechanical Code.
(1) The following sections, subsections, and paragraphs of the California Mechanical Code relating to administration are deleted:
Section 103.1, General.
(c) California Plumbing Code. 2019 California Plumbing Code.
(1) The following provisions are hereby deleted from the California Plumbing Code which has been incorporated by reference hereinabove:
Sections 308.1, 312.0, Part II - Building Sewers, Sections 713 - 716, 718, 719, and 721 - 723. (Ord. 2275, § 1, 05/28/2002)
Building sewers shall comply with the County’s water and sewer regulations.
(d) California Electrical Code. 2019 California Electrical Code, based on the 2017 National Electrical Code®
(e) Uniform Housing Code. Uniform Housing Code, 1997 Edition, adopted and published by the International Conference of Building Officials, 5360 South Workman Mill Road, Whittier, California 90601. (Ord. 1101, § 1, 9/14/76)
(1) Section 202 relating to the enforcement of the Uniform Housing Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 202. SUBSTANDARD BUILDINGS. All buildings or portions thereof which are determined to be substandard as defined in this Code are hereby declared to be public nuisances and shall be abated by repair, rehabilitation, demolition, or removal in accordance with the procedures provided in Section 1101 et seq. of this Code or as otherwise provided by law. (Ord. 1101 § 4, 9/14/76)
(f) Uniform Sign Code. Uniform Sign Code (including the appendices thereto), 1997 Edition, adopted and published by the International Conference of Building Officials, 5360 South Workman Mill Road, Whittier, California 90601. (Ord. 1101, § 1, 9/14/76)
(1) The following provisions of the Uniform Sign Code are deleted:
Section 103.1, Authority.
(g) California Building Conservation Code. 1998 California Code for Building Construction, based on the 1997 UCBC™, California Building Standards Commission.
(h) Historical Building Code. 2019 California Historical Building Code, California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Part 8.
(i) Energy Code. 2019 Energy Code, California Building Standards Commission.
(j) International Property Maintenance Code. 2018 International Property Maintenance Code.
(1) Section 111.1, relating to the application for appeal, of the International Property Maintenance Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 111.1. Application for appeal. Any person directly affected by a decision of the Building Official or a notice or order issued shall have the right to appeal to the board of appeals provided that a written application for appeal is filed within 10 days after the day the decision, notice or order was served.
(2) Section 111.2, relating to the membership of appeal board, of the International Property Maintenance Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 111.2. Membership of board. In order to hear and decide appeals of orders, decisions or determinations made by the building official relative to the application and interpretation of this code, there shall be and is hereby created a board of appeals consisting of the members of the Planning Commission and who are not employees of the jurisdiction. The Building Official shall be ex officio member of and shall act as secretary to said board, but shall have no vote on any matter before the board. The board shall render all decisions and findings in writing to the appellant with a duplicate copy to the building official.
(3) Section 111.3, relating to the notice of appeal board meeting, of the International Property Maintenance Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 111.3. Notice of meeting. The board shall meet at stated periodic meetings.
(4) Section 202, relating to the definition of Code Official, of the International Property Maintenance Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 202. CODE OFFICIAL. The Building Official is charged with the administration and enforcement of this code, or any duly authorized representative.
(k) California Existing Building Code. 2019 California Existing Building Code.
(l) California Green Building Standards Code. 2019 California Green Building Standards Code.
(m) Tiny Houses. 2019 California Building Standards Code Appendix Q, California Building Standards Commission.
(n) California Residential Code. 2019 California Residential Code.
(1) Appendix X, Emergency Housing, is incorporated by reference.
(o) For all of the above cited codes, it is intended that the references include all of their respective successor provisions. (Ord. 2275, § 1, 5/28/2002; Ord. 2649, § 1, 9/1/2020; Ord. 2656, § 3, 10/27/2020; Ord. 2697, § 2, 7/12/2022)